Updating Your Registration Certificate to Include Permanent Status

Posted in: Certificates And Forms, Residency,
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: ,

On this LINK is the full information about permanent residency status. Where it can be seen that permanent status does not have to be applied for but is an automatic status for those who have resided legally in Spain for five years or more. It is a choice and not an obligation to update the residency certificate.

CAB Spain began to advise residents to apply for a duplicate with the status when it become clear that many civil servants were confused with the law for non EU citizens TIE which needed renewal after five years. Since the UK voted in referendum to leave the EU in June 2016, it became essential to update the certificate due to the then unknown procedure for changing this document for a TIE (Foreigners Identity Card).

Application for the registration to include the wording “residente comunitario con carácter permanente desde (date).

This can be carried at the Extranjeria centre or the Policia Nacional station pertaining to your area. The application should be made with the EX18 ticking the boxes for:

□ Residencia continuada en España durante 5 años


The interested party, personally, must go to the Immigration Office of the province where he has his residence or, failing that, to the corresponding Police Station. Together with the application form (EX-18) and the applicant in all cases must present the following documents (original and copy
• Valid and valid passport or identity document. If it is expired, a copy of this and the renewal application.
• Document accrediting the payment of the fee for issuing the certificate (TASA).
• Documentation proving the assumption by which permanent residence is accessed, except in the case of access to it for having resided legally in Spain for a continuous period of 5 years, in which it is not necessary to provide additional documentation given that this circumstance it will be verified by the staff at the Immigration Office.

Once the fees have been paid, a certificate of the right to reside on a permanent basis will be issued to the citizen of the Union”.

The text above is taken from the website 0f the Spanish Ministry of the Interior based on the regulations for updating the certificate.

We should advise that it is clear in the Spanish Royal Decree and the European Directive that those who have attained the permanent resident status are not subjected to the procedure under Chapter 3 of the Directive. The articles under this chapter are for first time residency applicants who must show minimum resources or a contract of employment and health insurance. We cannot guarantee that applicants will not be asked for the latter. Civil servants, who are not instructed on the law relating to permanent residency or have not done their homework, are likely to ask for full documentation. Again this is not a requisite but CAB suggests that you ask at your relevant office for the requisites. We also suggest that you take an updated padron certificate (dated within the last 90 days).

Please Note: The EX18 application form and the TASA form (administration fees) can both be downloaded from the links in blue in the text above.

Where appointments need to be made online, use this LINK

Each family member must have an appointment.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.