• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

Travelling Without EHIC Card – What can I Do?

Posted in: Health, Travel,
Author: Richelle de Wit
Tags: , ,

¨Haven’t received your EHIC before you travel? Don’t worry; take these handy details with you! If you need treatment while you’re away and don’t have your card, you or someone on your behalf should apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). This will give you the same cover as an EHIC until you return home. To apply, call the Overseas Healthcare Team on 00 44 191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday, 8am–5pm). Save this number in your phone before you leave home. You can also email to: overseas.healthcare@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.

It is important to know what the EHIC covers you for. Where locals have to pay for some types of healthcare then so does the EHIC holder.

EHIC Full Guide

UPDATE 2015 UK State Pensioners

Although it may be easier, technically you don’t need to produce an EHIC, you just need to tell them that you are a state pensioner with an S1 registered in Spain. Since April 2015 UK state pensioners with an S1 registered in an EEA state are entitled to access healthcare in the UK as though they were normally resident. This also applies to their family members who accompany them. EHIC still necessary for other EU countries.

As a result of this concession ( which is fairly common in other EU states) the UK receives a discount of 5% on the amount that they pay to Spain. So whereas previously they would use the EHIC to reclaim the cost from Spain, this is now no longer the case.¨


Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.