Quads - Info and Rules

Posted in: On The Road
Author: Richelle de Wit
Tags: , ,

Info from the DGT in Spanish.

Link to Guide in Spanish

Translation of the info re three categories in English.

Light quadricycles These quads have an empty mass of less than 350 kg, not including the mass of the battery in the case of electric vehicles. Its maximum speed is 45Km / h and its explosion engines have a displacement of less than or equal to 50 cc, while in other types of engines its maximum net power is less than or equal to 4 KW. For driving you need a driving license of class AM, A1, A2, A or B. They can travel on all types of roads except highways and motorways. The license plates are yellow with black characters.

Quadricycles (not light). This type of quad is characterized by having a empty mass, not including the battery if they are electric, less than or equal to 400Kg, or less than or equal to 550 Kg if it is a vehicle intended for the transport of goods. Also, its power is less than or equal to 15 KW. They need the class B permit. Maximum speed at which 70Km / h can circulate. They can circulate on all types of roads just like the rest of cars but without forgetting the speed limit that they must respect. Technical inspection as a motor vehicle. Ordinary registration plate with European badge, white background and black characters.

Special vehicles These are self-propelled vehicles, with two or more axles, considered agricultural or construction machinery. The regulations of these quads allows them to circulate without limitations when their dimensions do not exceed those established in the Vehicle Regulations. They may circulate without limitations within their respective radios of action when their masses or dimensions do not exceed those established in the vehicle regulations. And they must not exceed 25 km / h (for vehicles that lack braking signaling); 40 km / h (for the rest of special vehicles) or 70 km / h (when they can develop, for its construction, a speed greater than 60 km / h on level terrain). A permit B is required. The maximum speed that can be reached is usually noted on the technical inspection card, but we will be governed by the above. The license plates are white and red characters.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.