• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

Should I Report My New Marital Status to the Authorities?

Posted in: Family, Residency,
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: ,

Yes both EU and non EU citizens should report changes in circumstances to the foreigners office at your station of the ‘Policia Nacional’. Below is the literal translation taken from the Spanish Royal Decree.
Change of circumstance EU citizen.

Article 14 Issue and validity of registration certificate and residence card

1. The issuance of the certificate of registration or of the residence card will be made in accordance with the models determined by the competent Authorities and prior payment of the corresponding fee, in accordance with the current legislation on public rates and prices, the amount of which will be equivalent to that required of Spaniards to obtain and renew the national identity document.

2. In any case, the validity of the registration certificates and residence cards contemplated in this royal decree, and the replacement of these by a document certifying permanent residence or a permanent residence card, respectively, will be conditioned to the fact that the owner continues to be in any of the cases that give right to obtain it. Interested parties must communicate any changes in circumstances referring to their nationality, marital status or address to the Foreigners Office of the province where they reside or, failing that, to the corresponding Police Station.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.