• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

How To Obtain U1 Form From UK

If you´ve worked abroad in a EU country and want to transfer any built- up entitlement to unemployment benefits to another EU country, you need to apply for a U1 form from the UK authorities to present to the authorities here in Spain.

You can do so from the UK, once your contract has ended, and you won´t remain in the UK for longer than 15 days after that, or from Spain online if you´ve got a ´Government Gateway´ account


or by mail


Note: You need to answer the first 2 questions with ´no´. Make sure to have your P45 or P60 handy to be able to copy NI number, PAYE reference number of your employer etc.

Once completed and printed off, include copies of the following documents

  • Final wage slips from each employer of last 3 years
  • If you don´t have wage slips, copy of the P60 forms of the last 3 years
  • ´end of contract´ letter from last employer confirming the reason for ending working relationship

If you don´t have any of these documents, or one is missing, you need to include a copy of your P45 form for the last 3 years.

And send to this address

NIC & EO HM Revenue and Customs


United Kingdom


If all documentation is complete, it takes between 1 and 2 months to receive the form. If it takes longer and you want to make enquiries, here is the contact info.

Telephone +44 191 203 7010 from Spain or  0845 915 4811 from the UK.  Or fax  +44 191 225 9570.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.