• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

How Do I Replace Lost/Stolen/Illegible Residency or NIE Certificate?

Posted in: Certificates And Forms, Residency,
Author: Richelle de Wit
Tags: , , ,

You need to go to the Policia Nacional, Foreigners Office in your area and ask for a duplicate ´duplicado´. Most offices require you to make an appointment first ´cita previa´.
Some offices ask you to present a denuncia re the lost/stolen original documents.
You will be asked to fill out a form, pay small ´tasa´ at bank and collect your duplicate document with the proof of payment.

You can also prepare from home, download form EX15 for NIE, EX18 for Residency Certificate, from the Library (Residency Section) and fill them out at your leisure before going to Foreigners Office at your local station of the national police (policia nacional).

For the NIE you will only need your passport with copies of front and photo page. Non EU normally need to provide a copy of each page of the passport.  The EX15 and the tasa form which you will get from the police station.

For a duplicate registration certificate (residency), you will also need to provide a recent padron certificate.

For your duplicate of your permanent residency certificate. Some of the foreigners offices staff may ask you to present all the documentation provided when you made your first application. This should only be the case if they suspect that you no longer meet the criteria for residency status. Permanent residents should not have to produce these documents. If you have any problems, contact us.


Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.