• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

EU/Non-EU Citizens Right to Apply for the EHIC

Posted in: Health, Travel,
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: , , , ,

All citizens who are insured for public healthcare or have healthcare cover by a European member state including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, are entitled to a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Spanish equivalent is the Tarjeta Sanitaria Europeo (TSE). The health insurance institution of the country where you are insured  (the one that pays for your healthcare)  will provide the card.

Non-EU citizens who are covered by a state social security scheme are also eligible. These nationals cannot use their EHIC in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

If your EHIC is not recognised by the authorities of any EU country – or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland – you can request your home insurer to contact the doctor or hospital abroad.
If this does not solve your problem, you can ask SOLVIT for help.


Applying For a TSE Card in Spain


Further Information on the EHIC


Reminder for UK state pensioners. You no longer need the EHIC for insurance cover for UK visits. You can now use the S1 for medical care as though you still reside in the UK.

Note for those subscribing to the Convenio Especial, this is not equivalent to paying into the Spanish Social Security system and therefore does not entitle you to a TSE card.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.