• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

EHIC Misuse-Holder May Be Liable for Full Cost of Treatment

Posted in: Health
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: ,

CAB continues to advise Expats in Spain and visitors alike about the rights obligations when applying and Using a European Health card (EHIC) issued in your country for use in Spain. State pensioners aside, the EHIC is intended for use for temporary visits to Spain. Once citizens have acquired residency or residing in Spain as their habitual home, they should sign up for healthcare cover in Spain either under the Spanish NHS/Convenio Especial/Private.

The Universal Healthcare law of July 2018 (on hold) which allows for residency based healthcare, has seen an emergence of health centres registering residents applying for state healthcare by using the EHIC. The NHS n your home country would have the right to claim full costs for those misusing the card. The Spanish NHS does not take this into consideration and are happy to see patients home countries pay the bill.

Don’t take it from us, here is a quote on the misuse of the EHIC from the UK NHS EHIC application site.

“Important: If your circumstances change, you may lose your entitlement to a UK-issued EHIC. If you then use your EHIC abroad, you may be liable for the full cost of treatment received. You may lose your entitlement to a UK-issued EHIC when you move abroad, take up work abroad, or change your residency status”.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.