• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

As Self Employed Autonomo, Can I Contract Employee?

If your business starts to grow and you need help, here are a series of steps to follow, to start your new stage:

First, if you have not hired workers before, you have to register as an ‘empresario‘ with the General Treasury of the Social Security (TGSS). There they will give you a Contribution Account Code ‘Código Cuenta de Cotización’ that is a number that identifies you from now on, in all the procedures you do as an employer. You will have to fill in the TA model. 6.

Then, if you have already chosen your employees, you have to register them with the TGSS. If this is the first time they work, you will have to ask to be assigned a membership number ‘número de afiliación’, which lasts a lifetime. If not, simply ask them for this information, in addition to info re their checking account number, their ID, etc.

You have a period of 10 days to communicate to the SEPE (State Public Employment Service) a copy of your workers’ contract. Through the ‘servicio contrat@’ it can be done telematically. In THIS LINK you have all possible types of contracts.
Both the registration of workers and their dismissal, that is, any modification that you have to communicate to Social Security. Whenever there is a change, whether labour or otherwise, in the data of your workers, you have to fill in and send a new one.

From this moment, as an employer you will be responsible for paying salaries to your employees and will be responsible for both your own monthly contribution and theirs.

On the website of the Ministry of Employment and from the Social Security portal you will find more information about all these procedures in the “Empresario” sections.

Q: Will I lose my entitlement to Tarifa Plana when I contract an employee?

A: No, you will not. In fact, it may have some more advantage:

Those self-employed who meet the requirements to qualify for the 60-euro rate may pay 50% of the common contingency fee (mandatory when hiring workers) if they are subject to the minimum contribution base. Now, even if the minimum contribution base corresponds to you, if you decide to contribute for a higher base, then the reduction of the quota for common contingencies that is applied is 80%.

Q: Can I contract a family member?

A: Info from our website.


Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.