• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

For Updates on Universal Healthcare and the State Cancellation of the Convenio Especial

Posted in: Information Topic
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: , ,
56 Comments

This is a public page on our site. Do not post private information that you do not want in the public domain. Use the Ask for Advice section or ask for email contact.

Persons who could be entitled to healthcare from the public funds under the NHS Spain.

Resident early retirees.
Resident paying for private healthcare.
Residing in Spain but irregular (no residency).
Contributing to the Convenio Especial.

In reference to the new Royal Decree on Universal Healthcare for all.

For updates and advice please post a comment below.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR EXISTING HEALTHCARE UNLESS THE INSS, CONVENIO OR CAB SPAIN CONTACT YOU.

Articles please read:

Universal Heatlhcare

Registered for Convenio Especial

Important Update 06/08/2018:

Email response from the Andalucian Health Service to a member who enquired about registering for the “Convenio Especial”. (opt in payment to the NHS). Translated below.

In response to your message . we inform you that in Spain there has been a legislative change with the publication of Royal Decree-law 7/2018, of July 27, on universal access to the National Health System, which brings new considerations on public health coverage. Specifically, it modifies the access criteria to the National Health System charged to public funds, linking it to the residence in Spain. In your case, you could meet the stipulated requirements so that your right to health protection and the right to health care are recognised with charges to public funds. So we recommend you go to a Care and Information Centre of the National Institute of Social Security (INSS) to assess your request for health care, according to current legislation.
Un cordial saludo.

This is positive as at least we see that the Junta de Andalucia accepts that the new royal decree which relates to healthcare entitlement from the public funds and includes those residents who are also EU citizens though have other options through their own regime.

Huge thanks to Anne for allowing us to share the information from the received email.

Update 08/08/2018:Cancellations of the Convenio Especial

Update 15/08/2018

We have been guiding a resident to apply for the Convenio Especial in Andalucia. They did this at their health centre and have been registered for NHS healthcare.

Note*

This FAQS could answer your questions.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.

Comments

56 Comments

• #1. Jackie said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 21:19:20 CEST
    x

Yes please keep me informed.

• #2. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 21:29:46 CEST
    x

Jakie. Will send an info email so that you can provide more details.

Please note: The information I provide is based upon my understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. I recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.
  • #3. Jo Maynard said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 21:53:43 CEST

Please keep me informed

• #4. Jo Maynard said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 21:56:10 CEST
    x

Please keep me informed too

• #5. NatashaL said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 21:57:56 CEST
    x

I would like updates please. Going to the INSS Thursday to ask for advice and will share the outcome.

• #6. Alison Hook said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 22:11:35 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated. We are residents and have been since May 2012 .We became residents befor they changed the rules in June 2012 and would like to know if these changes may help us get healthcare as given to pre April 2012 residents. Thank you.

• #7. Aud said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 22:15:12 CEST
    x

Been trying to get health cover for my pre exsisting problem 8 yrs ago,not a resd but on the padron. Can’t get PH care. This would be so good for me. Applied for CE but was not excepted.

Keep up the good work.
    Keep me informed. Thank you very much.

• #8. Elaine said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 22:17:07 CEST
    x

Thanks for the info. Please keep me updated as an early retiree. Many thanks.

• #9. Annabel Wilson said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 22:53:21 CEST
    x

Yes, please keep me updated, my husband and I are essentially early retirees and currently in the process of applying for convenio especial… we handed in our completed forms and copies of documentation to the Granada office around 3 weeks ago.

• #10. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 23:00:10 CEST

Thank you Natasha.

• #11. scottcentral said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 23:26:06 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated on Universal Healthcare. Early retiree with residency gained in June 2017. Thank you.

• #12. gezalan said on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 23:30:44 CEST
    x

Myself and Husband are residents and own our own property. I am 62 my husband is 59.can we both get SIP cards by going to the local social security office, with our residencia, passports. Thank You.

• #13. PaulH said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 02:02:03 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated. My wife and I are early retirees and obtained residency in April of this year using private healthcare insurance. We had planned to use the convenio especial after one year on the padron here in Murcis.

• #14. AytchC said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 07:48:19 CEST
    x

I would like to receive updates, we are early retirees, arrived 2016, have residency and private health cover. Thank you

• #15. cliftoma said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 08:00:32 CEST
    x

As I have a pre existing condition, the only route I could take to get healthcare was to become Autonomo, I’m paying the reduced Social Security fee of €60 for the first year. If Universal Healthcare is reinstated I will be able to change from Autonomo. I would be grateful if you could keep me updated on the changes. Thanks

• #16. jakir said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 09:00:40 CEST
    x

We were planning to join convenio especial until pension age, interested in updates on this

• #17. jaxdon said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 09:05:53 CEST
    x

Living in spain and deciding whether to become resident or not. Health care has been the one area which is a stumbling block. 60 and 61 years old. Previously lived here for 10 years as autonomo with business paying into the system.

• #18. Brad said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 11:35:49 CEST
    x

Please keep me informed .

• #19. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 12:47:15 CEST
    x

Morning all. UPDATE* August 1 2018. From the social security head office Madrid. They are of course aware of the law but nothing has been regulated by the INSS, until they have done this, everything stays the same. Will be checking with them every few days.

We need to take into consideration the work involved for the INSS and the autonomous regions. As the RDL states, all Autonomous regions need to decide on procedures Ho to accredit entitlement.

• #20. Kenny Downes said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 12:59:07 CEST
    x

Thanks for the updates. CAB is such a valuable resource.
    We’re moving to Valencia region in October. Early retirees, so really interested in these developments.

• #21. looby said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 13:05:02 CEST

Please keep me informed

• #22. chootchieuk said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 13:31:43 CEST
    x

Yes, please keep me updated – see current ongoing enquiry no 24319. Thank you!

• #23. Mamita Jane said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 16:21:17 CEST
    x

Yes please for updates. Thanks.

• #24. villaverano said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 16:30:28 CEST
    x

Thank you. Please keep me updated

• #25. noa47 said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 17:02:27 CEST
    x

Please keep me informed. Resident here and paying Into Convenio Especial. Thank you.

• #26. noa47 said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 17:05:22 CEST
    x

Please keep me informed. Resident here and paying Into Convenio Especial. Many thanks.

• #27. Denise Mills said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 17:14:35 CEST
    x

We have been in Convenio Especial for 3 years now so I’m hoping this will enable us to access free healthcare. We do after all pay our taxes here and spend a lot within the Spanish economy.
    I’ve emailed the following addresses and may write to their office in Sevilla consejera.csalud@juntadeandalucia.es and informacion@juntadeandalucia.es
    I will update if I get a response.

• #28. Siobhan said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 17:20:49 CEST
    x

Please keep me advised. We are early retirees and will be applying for Residencia soon. Thanks.

• #29. yvonne said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 18:18:56 CEST
    x

Please keep me informed, thank you

• #30. Siobhan said on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 20:27:38 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated. We are early retirees and will apply for Residencia soon. Thanks

• #31. Canales said on Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 09:10:16 CEST
    x

Please keep me informed – early retirees and about to get private health care to apply for residencia. Cheers!

• #32. Bev Davis said on Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 16:25:17 CEST
    x

Hubby and I are emigrating to Almeria Province in October as early retirees living off our savings. Can you please let me have updates as we both have pre-existing medical conditions whereby private insurance is not possible. Thank you for all your hard work in keeping us in the know.

• #33. Ellen Genge said on Friday, August 3, 2018 at 17:57:07 CEST
    x

Please may I be added to the list for updates. We are early retirees and applying for residencia soon. Many thanks

• #34. Bevster2604 said on Friday, August 3, 2018 at 19:34:46 CEST
    x

We will be moving to Spain in the next few months so would appreciate notice of any updates. Many thanks

• #35. Bevster2604 said on Friday, August 3, 2018 at 19:38:52 CEST
    x

We are early retirees and will be moving to Spain in the next couple months so would appreciate being kept informed on any updates.

• #36. Poco Loco Dave said on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 00:03:28 CEST
    x

Yay! Finally got it working. Please keep me updated. Resident. With private health but am looking in to trying to get the convio especial thing but now waiting to see what happens.

• #37. goldcrestuk said on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 02:02:22 CEST
    x

Hi Myra. Please keep me informed. Many thanks.

• #38. goldcrestuk said on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 02:03:46 CEST

Hi Myra

Please keep me informed. Any thanks.

Peter

• #39. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 10:41:34 CEST
    x

Hello Dave. We suggest that those with plans do not change them. To date everything stays the same. Entering into the system can only be beneficial for your future rights.

• #40. Rena Dunne said on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:00:01 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated on this subject, thanks.

• #41. Jenny gray said on Monday, August 6, 2018 at 14:17:33 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated. My husband has paid into Convenio Especial for 4 years plus. We sill have a direct debit set up, and August payment has been made. We await your update.

• #42. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Monday, August 6, 2018 at 16:28:04 CEST
    x

Sorry for the capitals but important notice*

PLEASE READ TODAYS UPDATE IN RED TEXT.

• #43. Keith West said on Monday, August 6, 2018 at 17:03:09 CEST
    x

My wife and I have been resident for 13yrs. I’m 63 and she is 51 and we both have private health insurance. Would we be entitled to state health care? Private insurance is getting expensive. Please keep us up to date with any changes. Thanks

• #44. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Monday, August 6, 2018 at 17:17:25 CEST
    x

You were entitled to available of full healthcare on the NHS 13 years ago. Please apply please as even without this new law, you come under the pre April 2012 regulations.

• #45. Ppeters said on Monday, August 6, 2018 at 18:37:56 CEST

Please keep me updated. Thanks

• #46. SAC said on Monday, August 6, 2018 at 19:15:41 CEST
    x

Please keep me updated. My wife is an early retiree and we moved to Spain 2 months ago. We are on the Padron and my wife has Private Health Insurance. I am the dependent of my wife and have been refused Private Health Insurance due to having Cancer 8 years ago. We intend to apply for residency as soon as we can.

• #47. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 11:12:57 CEST
    x

Hello. Not sure which autonomous region you reside in but we have guided many to apply for the “convenio especial” (please search on this website). You would need to use the padron as proof or residency. Should have resided for a year but some have been able to register before. A couple in Andalucia used the convenio to apply for healthcare. This could help you to avail of the NHS care being discussed.

• #48. Paul R said on Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 19:39:11 CEST
    x

Yes please keep me informed

• #49. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 22:20:11 CEST
    x

Hello everyone. To reassure you that we are working behind the scenes. We are collating evidence from members and speaking to the various administration offices. Still early days and we have some encouragement at least the the Junta de Andalcuia appear to accept this royal decree as pertaining the the EU residents as well.

• #50. Denise Mills said on Friday, August 10, 2018 at 17:35:35 CEST

So the good news!
    I have just had a letter via email for my husband and myself from the health service in Andalucia confirming we are entitled to healthcare paid for by public funds and a reduced prescription cost as well!
    Back ground is we are early retirees Brits living just outside Malaga, been resident since 2013. Obtained private healthcare to get residence certificate and then shifted to the Convenio Especial in 2015/6
    The letter confirmed we will not have to pay under the CE anymore.
    This was received by email after me enquiring as to our status in light of the new law. Original letters will be sent by post as well.

• #51. Coltay said on Friday, August 10, 2018 at 19:07:47 CEST
    x

Denise Mills who was the letter from please?

• #52. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 16:14:47 CEST
    x

FAQS which should answer your questions. https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/new-universal-healthcare-law-july-27-2018-faqs/

• #53. adamespana said on Monday, August 13, 2018 at 07:44:31 CEST
    x

Hello Myra, thank you for all of your hard work – helping us understand this new law! I listened to your interview on Frida and I have a couple of questions:
    1) Once in the public system under this new law – are all costs covered, including medications? I understand that the CE did not include the cost for medications.
    2) I moved to Spain 2 months ago, living in Denia, Alicante. I have a UK passport and now have my residencia (little green card!), NIE and Padron. Will I qualify for public healthcare under this new law? If so, when do you suggest I apply – sounds like Communidad Valenciana aren’t quite ready yet to start accepting applicants.
    3) When the time comes to apply – do I just walk into the INSS office in Denia and attempt to apply – is it intended to be that straightforward?

Thank you!

• #54. adamespana said on Monday, August 13, 2018 at 07:45:46 CEST

Please keep me updated!

• #55. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Monday, August 13, 2018 at 09:53:15 CEST
    x

Your questions will be answered here in our new faqs. https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/new-universal-healthcare-law-july-27-2018-faqs/

• #56. Myra Cecilia Azzopardi (Official CAB Advisor) said on Monday, August 13, 2018 at 09:53:47 CEST
    x

Hello. Information as of today. https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/new-universal-healthcare-law-july-27-2018-faqs/