• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

Exchanging the UK Driving Licence for a Spanish Permit

Don’t miss the Spain info Card. www.spaininfo.eu

Posted in: News Articles, On the Road,
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: ,

Instructions for exchanging a U.K. driving licence for a Spanish permit. Use the drop down menu for other languages.

Gibraltar licences also exchangeable without the need of a verification code.

For those choosing to make an appointment via 060, make sure you have a good level of the Spanish language, take down all details. Please note that some had not concluded the procedure correctly or misunderstood the last time the option was available to exchange a licence.

please try to not get frustrated.  Note Spain info Card if you need advice and guidance on this or any other matter during your membership.

Update 17.30 March 16.  The UK (Reino Unido) now comes up when you choose country with convenio (agreement).


Choice of DGT link

Choose ingles on the drop Down menu then the box countries.

Choose United Kingdom.

Click on face o face.


Choose your region and office formalities .

Click I am not a robot and continue.




You can exchange in any DGT office.  Link Here

For the simple medical tests… Link below for the centres listed by DGT but remember you can use any “Centros de Reconocimiento de Conductores”.


Medical Centres


Proof of residency and have not received TIE:

A favourable resolution when received and confirmation of this is valid as proof for all administrative offices. DGT should be aware and state this.
“Proof of residence: Original DNI or residence card (foreigner identity card) or certificate of registration in the EU citizen registry and any other document requested by the Headquarters where the exchange request is processed. In the official Form you can expressly authorize the DGT to electronically verify your registration and IAE address. However, if the DGT does not obtain valid information, you must correct it by providing the documentation”.


Licences renewed in another country whilst holder was a resident of Spain?

It is important to read the information which has not changed except for licences for Korea.

“Driving licenses for residents in Spain that have been issued in the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland can be exchanged for an equivalent Spanish licence, when a series of administrative requirements are met:

The driving license cannot be exchanged if you have obtained (no mention of renewal) it in your country of origin while you are already a legal resident in Spain.

Nor will it be exchangeable if you have obtained the permit after the signing of the agreement as a legal resident in Spain.

Yes, it is exchangeable if the permit expires after your entry into our country”.

Note CAB Spain* The same was said for the exchange of EU licences when the ministry of the interior introduced the two year protocol. At that time there was a memo circulated to the DGT offices stating that there was some leniency in these cases. We hope that under the circumstances, the DGT will be sympathetic.

We suggest that owners of these licenses should still go ahead, make an appointment and see if their license will be exchanged. We also suggest that you bring this up with the British embassy/consulate for any assistance of mediationfrom them. They would be the body to speak to the ministry to ask for any favours.

UK licences exchanged with other countries:

“This Agreement shall not apply to driving licenses issued by one of the Parties in exchange for another license obtained in a third country that is not a member of the EEA, unless both Parties are party to an agreement or understanding with that same third country. in the exchange of driving licences.

b) The Parties will communicate through diplomatic channels with which third countries they have an agreement or understanding on the exchange of driving licences, from the date of initial provisional application. The Parties will communicate if any of these agreements or understandings is terminated or if new agreements or understandings are entered into”.

check on the DGT site “countries with convenio (agreement).

Furthermore I have added what appears to be a contradiction.

From Moncloa:

The agreement establishes that all valid permits or licenses of current residents issued prior to its entry into force may be exchanged, while for permits issued after said entry into force it will be an essential requirement to access the exchange that the permits have been issued in the country where the applicant had his legal residence.

From DGT:

Your driving license can be exchanged if you obtained it before being a legal resident in Spain, or if you did so before the signing of the agreement.

The exchange will not be possible:
If you obtained your foreign permit while you were already a legal resident in Spain.

As the word obtained is mentioned only, we are waiting in anticipation of the British Embassy stating publicly that renewals will be exchanged.

Update March 29.  As we anticipated above, the British Embassy have confirmed that licences exchanged/renewed in the U.K. before the agreement will be exchanged.

Scroll down for the DGT link with Press Release of March 14.


Update March 19.  Due to us being misquoted on other groups. Until the DGT remove the statements on not being able to exchange licences obtained in a country outside Spain whilst resident or residing in Spain,  or we read the BOE when published,  we continue suggesting that those affected by this issue make appointments for the exchange. Until written changes are in place, we have no further comment.


Those who are waiting to apply/collect a TIE but have a favourable resolution.  First comment from CAB adviser.




Made your application and not heard back.  Check the status of your application:  HERE




Bon Voyage!


Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.