Changes UK Driving Licence Counterpart

Posted in: Latest News, News Articles,
Author: Myra Cecilia Azzopardi
Tags: , , , , ,

The information below may have implications for those who wish to change their UK licence for the Spanish permit. For obvious reasons I am suggesting that you do not destroy the paper counterpart until trafico can be reasoned with. We can imagine scenarios where trafico will insist on the counterpart being presented.

From January 2015, DVLA will no longer issue the paper counterpart to the photo card driving licence.

You can check your driving licence record online, by phone or post.
What this means for you
You do not need to take any action, just keep your current photo card driving licence.

If you have an old style paper driving licence issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, this change won’t affect you, and you should keep your licence until the completion of two years residency in Spain by which the old paper style licence should be renewed in Spain.

The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photo card only. UK residents.

Entitlements, penalty points and the status of your driving licence won’t change.

What to do with your paper counterpart from January 2015
If you don’t think you’ll need it, then you may destroy it. You should not destroy the counterpart before 8th of June 2015.

You’ll still be able to use the counterpart driving licence to change your address with DVLA. You can also change your address online.

Organisations and businesses that check the driving licence counterpart
DVLA is developing a new digital enquiry service for launch later this year that will allow organisations and businesses (such as employers and car hire companies) to view information they can currently see on the driving licence counterpart.

This new service will be offered in addition to the existing services, but is designed for those who have a business need for real-time access to the information and may not wish to call DVLA or be in a position to use an intermediary.

Driving licence information via this service will only be made available to those who have a right to see it, and with the knowledge of the driving licence holder.

This information is taken from the Gov.UK website.

Myra Azzopardi Swainson.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.