Question of the week: we are now pensioners and have our S1, how should we proceed to get into the healthcare system?

Q: we are now pensioners and have our S1, how should we proceed to get into the healthcare system? Do I need to take forms with me? What documents should I take?
A: once you have your S1s, it´s very easy to register. You do not need to take any forms with you, they will provide them there.

You do have to take

1) passport

2) residencia certificate (green NIE ) paper

3) marriage certificate

4) s1 papers.

5) empadronamiento certificate (just in case, not every office asks for this)

Take photocopies just in case, sometimes they just scan the documents, but I have heard of some offices asking for photocopies. Go to the Seguridad Social office (INSS), and present the papers. They will probably tell you that you will receive a paper in the mail (sometimes they give the paper to you on the spot, again, it depends on the office). Find your office here

That paper is VERY important, make a copy and file it carefully!

With that paper, go to your healthcare centre to register with a doctor, but this is when you need to read the second part of a guide I wrote, because you DO NOT want to go and register with the first doctor available, you need to ask for recommendations.

Even more so, as you do not have to register with the healthcare centre that belongs to you because of your address! This is a little known, but very important fact.

If you go to register in a healthcare centre different from the one that belongs to your address, take this print out and somebody that speaks Spanish with you, because in my experience, they will try to say no to you, even though it’s your right.

Here is my guide.

Read from my guide from this part on: “after having your healthcare recognised”, there you will learn some tricks that will help you move inside and get the most out of the system.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.
citizens advice spain


We use our own and third-party cookies to prepare statistical information through the analysis of your browsing, in accordance with our cookies policy. If you continue browsing, you accept its use.
view CAB cookie policy

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para elaborar información estadística y mostrarte publicidad personalizada a través del análisis de tu navegación, conforme nuestra política de cookies. Si continúas navegando, aceptas su uso.
ver política de cookies de CAB

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.