• Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice

TIE in for Renewal. Can I Exit and Return to Spain?

You should not leave the country unless you have applied for an “Autorización de regreso”. Translation from this government website.

a) Be the holder of a residence or stay authorization and have initiated the renewal or extension of the authorization that entitles you to remain in Spain within the legal term.
b) Be the holder of a valid foreigner identity card and have submitted a request for a duplicate card for theft, loss, destruction or disabling.
c) Evidence that the trip responds to a situation of necessity and that there are exceptional reasons and that the initial authorization for residence or stay has been resolved favorably and that the issuance of the foreigner’s identity card is being processed.
[Back to top]

A return authorization may not be granted to foreigners who are subject to a prohibition on leaving Spain or a restriction on their freedom of movement agreed by the Judicial Authority as a precautionary measure or in an extradition process, or as a result of a final ruling. .
[Back to top]

Note: In general, copies of documents must be provided and originals must be presented at the time of submitting the application.

Application form in official form (EX-13) in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner. Said form can be obtained at http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/index.html .
Copy of the complete passport or registration card and valid travel title.
Copy of the application for renewal or extension of the authorization or foreigner’s identity card, or proof of its presentation.
In case c) (to have granted initial authorization of residence or stay and to have in process the foreigner’s identity card): documentation proving that the trip responds to a situation of necessity and exceptional circumstances concur.
Important note: when documents from other countries are submitted, they must be translated into Spanish or co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

On the other hand, all foreign public documents must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which the document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent authority of the issuing country according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless said document is exempt from legalization under the International Convention.

For more information on the translation and legalization of documents, you can consult the information sheet

[Back to top]

Subject legitimated to present the request: the foreigner personally, or by proxy.
Place of presentation: any public record and addressed to the Immigration Office or the Police Station corresponding to the province in which the foreigner has his domicile. To obtain information on the address, telephone numbers and opening hours for the public of the Immigration Office, you can consult the following page: http://www.seap.minhap.gob.es/web/servicios/extranjeria/extranjeria_ddgg.html .
The fees for processing the return authorization: they must always be paid prior to the issuance of the return authorization. They are accrued at the time of admission to process the application, and must be paid within ten business days, are:
Model 790 code 052 if it is processed in the Immigration Office, or Model 790 code 012 if it is processed in the Police Station, with an amount of: ……………. … …………………… 10.30 euros.
Download of printed:
Model 790 code 052 can be downloaded from the page: http://www.sefp.minhafp.gob.es/es/web/servicios/tasas.html
Model 790 code 012 can be downloaded from the page: https://sede.policia.gob.es:38089/Tasa790_012/
The return authorization will always be given to the foreign citizen who is the recipient of the document, except in two cases:
Minor of age or disability of the foreigner in which the return authorization may be collected by his legal representative.
Concurrence abroad of an accredited impossibility of personal appearance (due to illness or transitory physical disability accredited by means of a medical certificate or hospital report signed by a registered doctor); in this case, you can go to a proxy power of attorney.
The return authorization will have a validity no longer than 90 counted days:
If the residence or stay authorization is not in the renewal period, from the date of grant.
If the residence or stay authorization is in the renewal period:
From the expiration date of the authorization, if requested before it expires.
From the date of grant, if requested after the expiration of the authorization.
The return authorization can be used for all exits and the subsequent return that may be required during the validity of the authorization”.

Please note: The information provided is based upon our understanding of current legislation. It is not legal advice but is provided freely to enable you to be properly informed. We recommend that if you are considering taking action, you should seek professional advice.

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

As an expatriate living in Spain; do you find that the Spanish bureaucratic system can be disconcerting? Have you discovered that the simplest of transactions are difficult to conclude? Find yourself searching for answers to problems only to discover that there is nowhere where you could find a solution? I am assuming that the answer is yes and that is why should be a member of our web site if you arent already.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.